Saturday, May 4, 2013

Getting My Confidence Back

A week ago I had a terrible run.  I set out to run 12 miles and was only able to cover 6 before I ran out of both water and energy.

Statistically, it was bound to happen, but a week before a half marathon I bonked at last year, it couldn't have come at a worse time.  I didn't want to write about it because I was so disappointed in myself.  I'd had a beer the night before, I dressed too warmly, I ate something I wasn't used to before I set out, and I brought water with me instead of Gatorade.  In short, I set myself up for failure.

I didn't have a chance to run again until Wednesday, spending three days dwelling on my failure and worrying about the Frederick Half this weekend.  That evening I hesitantly laced up my running shoes and hoped for the best.  Despite stopping at multiple traffic lights and being held up by a motorcade (only in DC...), I average sub-9:00 miles for a 5.2 mile run.  When I finished, I felt great.

Despite the 4am wake-up call and hilly finish, I'm ready for Frederick tomorrow.  My plan is to start slow and try for a negative split.  Maybe this time I can PR and finish strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment