Thursday, January 17, 2013

That "D'oh" Moment

I've long hated the elliptical*.  Regardless of how high I increase the resistance and incline, or what interval workouts I try, it still feels like a long monotonous series of pedal strokes.  While I ellipt, time creeps by more slowly than it did during Thursday night lectures in college.  Luckily, the only time I need to use the elliptical is when I'm injured.

Unluckily, I injured my foot on Saturday night.  I'm still not sure what I did to it - there could be a small fracture on one of my toes or it could be really bad bruising - but after three days without any cardio (I did some weightlifting on Tuesday) I knew I needed to get my heart rate up and my foot wouldn't be able to handle running.  Like it or not, I was relegated to the elliptical.

As I grabbed my keys and gym pass out of my purse, my hand brushed against my iPad.  I immediately thought about how I'd downloaded a movie and how frustrated I was that I couldn't get it to play on my TV from my iPad.  When was I ever going to watch it?

I swear to you, if I was a cartoon I would have had a lightbulb flash above my head at that moment.

I got an iPad mini because it was small, light, and convenient to carry around.  I sometimes see people reading Kindles at the gym, which are around the same size, but it's pretty much impossible to read on a treadmill - I have a hard time focusing on the gym TVs while running.  My iPad is the perfect size to prop up on the elliptical like a magazine and, unlike reading, I don't have to focus too much to watch a movie.

It was perfect.  I got through the first half of the movie (Pitch Perfect - don't judge) and could have kept going if I didn't have to get back to the office.  I'm saving the second half for Friday morning's workout.

Awards season is starting up and I'm desperately behind in watching nominated films.  Something tells me rehabbing my foot is going to be productive in more ways than one...

*I also dislike the stationary bike outside of spin class - sitting down during my workout makes me feel like I'm working less, and those seats start to hurt after a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment