Monday, January 7, 2013

A Belated Start to 2013

I'm a little late on a New Year's resolution post, but I have an excuse...

I started 2013 off in poor form.  Like many 20-somethings, I spent the first half of January 1st in bed, nursing a painful reminder of the prior night's over-indulgence.  When I finally got out of bed and got myself together, I realized I had a lot of work to do.  I'd barely finished unpacking from my ski trip and I was leaving for the airport again at 5am the next day.

I spent four days lying on the beach, eating delicious (not-so-healthy) food, and relaxing in tropical paradise.  It was amazing.  I took that opportunity to unplug and escape, truly leaving behind the stressors associated with my day-to-day life.  And my running shoes.  Which means...

Today was my first workout of 2013.  I may have started the year slowly, but it's time for me to kick things in to gear.  While I was sleeping in and sipping pina coladas, my calendar crept closer to numerous occasions on which I'll need to squeeze myself in to little cocktail dresses and sultry evening gowns.  These dresses fit snugly before my holiday season indulgences and vacation laziness - now the pressure is on to get myself back in to shape.

After my first day back in the office the last thing I wanted to do was go to the gym, but I knew the longer I waited, the harder it would be to get up and start moving.  I dragged myself to spin class and sure enough, the harder I pedaled and the sweatier I got, the better I felt.  I'd forgotten how good a workout feels.

Since it's not a New Year's resolution post without a list of resolutions, here is what I resolve to do in 2013:

  • Complete 22 workouts a month (inspired by the Move Your Booty Challenge I completed last month)
  • Eat healthier
  • Get more sleep
  • Lift more weights
My goals for 2013 include:
  • A half marathon PR
  • A marathon PR
  • Completing a trail race
Happy belated new year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment