Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Army Ten Miler Race Recap

Sunday morning I left home before the sun came up and headed out in to the cool fall morning toward the start line.  After experiencing knee and IT band pain all week and a killer workout on Thursday I didn't have high expectations for my performance.

What I forgot was that the day's race wasn't about me.  The Army Ten Miler never is.

Sunday was my 6th Army Ten Miler; each year I am both impressed by the turnout and humbled as I am reminded by the sacrifice that our active duty soldiers and military families make every day to protect our freedom.  It's amazing to run the ATM alongside active duty soldiers, wounded warriors, military spouses, and family members of those who have fallen.

I got to the Pentagon right as the paratroopers were jumping.  You can always tell when they jump because one by one all of the runners and spectators milling around the Pentagon stop in their tracks and look up to the sky.


This year the wave start was pretty well organized.  I found my corral easily and before long it was time to line up at the start line.


As I started the sun was out, the temperature was in the low 50s, and there was a cool breeze blowing.  I couldn't have asked for better weather.  The first couple of miles were crowded, but that gave me time to take photos as we crossed the Memorial Bridge, approached the Lincoln Memorial, and passed the Washington Monument.




Around mile 5 the crowd started to thin out and I was able to cruise at my own pace.  As I approached the section of the course that doubled-back I looked for my friends that were also running the race.  I was hoping to spot someone and cheer them on; unfortunately, I didn't see anyone I knew.

Before I knew it I was approaching the 14th street bridge, which my friends and I refer to as "the bridge of death," because it's long, hilly, and completely devoid of spectators.


I'm not looking forward to encountering it again at mile 20 of Marine Corps Marathon next weekend.

After the bridge I was in the home stretch... or so I thought.  Over the past three years the ATM has moved the finish line further and further in to the Pentagon parking lot.  What used to signal the home stretch of the race is now the 9 mile marker.  At that point (this year) I had one more hill and a long, flat stretch to the finish.

The finish line was well-organized and it was easy to get food and water afterward.  What wasn't great was the walk to the metro from the finish line.  We had to hop over two sets of jersey barriers (the concrete barriers you often see on highways) to get between the finish area and the Pentagon.  I didn't see any way around them and it made me wonder how runners on extremely tired legs and participants using hand-crank wheelchairs were able to get out of the finish area.  I hope the race organizers will work on this for next year.

All in all I had a great race.  I didn't PR, but I hadn't been planning on it.  I didn't see my friends during the race, but I was able to meet up with them after.  I didn't go in with high expectations, but I finished in high spirits.  I'll definitely be back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment