Monday, October 29, 2012

MCM Expo: The Fun Before the Storm


I don't usually write about race expos because nothing noteworthy happens.  I went to the MCM expo on my lunch hour Friday hoping for a quick in-and-out experience, but ended up staying quite a while.  The expo was at the DC Armory, which is always an interesting experience.  It's a military building, so everyone who enters is required to go through security.  My parking and security experiences weren't the world's best at the Army Ten Miler packet pick up at the same location last week, so I didn't have high expectations for the MCM expo.  Of course I was wrong to underestimate any event run by Marines.  Parking was easy, the security lines went quickly, and I was able to pick up my bib, packet, and tshirt in a matter of minutes.  Upon exiting the packet pick-up area I was treated to a performance by the US Marine Corps Brass Band.


I love a good brass band.

Being in high spirits (and having a bit of extra time), I decided to peruse the expo and see what I could find.  I'd tweeted back-and-forth with one of my favorite race directors (Bob from American Odyssey Relay) and been told to come by his booth because he'd have a treat for all runners already registered for the 2013 race.  I expected candy.  What I got was a new pair of UA Cold Gear running gloves.  Which I desperately needed.  Thanks, Bob!

I puttered around, looking at all the free gear and sale items, willing myself not to buy anything I didn't need.  Then I saw the Balega display.  I probably don't need any more running socks at this point, but I love these socks and they had fun colors like neon pink and yellow and were running a "buy three pairs, get one free" deal.  So guess who has 4 new pairs of running socks...

In for a penny, in for a pound, I saw a Mizuno display and decided to take a look.  They were offering 20% off all shoes, so I bit the bullet and finally bought the Wave Elixir 7s I tried a run club a few months ago.

After that, I cut myself off.  I was running out of time and hadn't exactly budgeted for a pair of new shoes.  I grabbed a few free bags of sport beans and headed out.  Only a day and a half stood between me and the MCM start line.  It was time to start preparing for the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment