Monday, April 15, 2013

On the Boston Bombings

This afternoon 27,000 registered Boston Marathon runners, thousands of spectators, and the international running community lost their innocence.  Two people lost their lives.  Many others were injured.  While we do not yet know who was responsible for the blasts or why this was done, we do know that these horrific acts will not soon escape our collective conscience.

To many people, running a marathon is a significant life event.  What should have been a celebration became a nightmare come to life.

My thoughts and prayers are with the runners, spectators, and their families.  I know I'm lucky - everyone I know who was at or near the race is safe.  I can't imagine the unease and uncertainty those who have not yet heard from their loved ones are experiencing and, worse, the loss and devastation that those whose loved ones were lost or seriously injured today must feel.  My heart goes out to each and every one of them.

In the days, weeks, and months to come we will see how today's events shape the future of road racing.  What precautions will the USATF and IAAF decide are necessary to keep runners safe?  How will we honor the bombing victims?

There are so many questions outstanding and so few answers to them.  Running used to be my escape, my chance to leave behind the worries of everyday life.  Today, my catharsis is a reminder of the nation's trauma.  Tomorrow, I will go for a run.  I know I can't leave today's events behind, but I also know that the only way to move forward is to put one foot in front of the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment