Tuesday, April 16, 2013

#runforBoston

Most days I run for me.  Today I ran for Boston.

For the first mile, I ran in sadness.  I ran for the three people that lost their lives.  I ran for the hundreds of others who were injured.  I ran for those who escaped uninjured, but with haunting memories they will never escape.

I ran to the top of Deal Hill, took in the view, and had a private moment of silence.


Then I continued on.

As my legs loosened up and my thoughts began to flow more freely, I changed my focus.  I ran for the first responders, the brave individuals who disregarded their personal safety and ran toward the blasts to help others.  I ran for the blood donors, whose generosity more than met the demand for blood in the hours after the bombs went off.  I ran for the ordinary people who did extraordinary things to help others.  I ran for these individuals who, after an act intended to cause fear, created hope, and whose actions warmed my heart.

I finished my run feeling lighter than I have in days.

No comments:

Post a Comment