Thursday, August 30, 2012

I'm Baaaack

Yesterday I woke with alacrity and cheer - my return to running was finally here!

Ok, so I'm not Dr. Seuss, but getting to run again after over a week of being confined to my couch is exciting!

I decided to go to run club for my first run back - I figured if I was moving slower than usual I would have people to keep me company and keep me motivated to continue regardless of how I was feeling.

I got to lululemon early and was happily surprised to see a Mizuno rep there. We all got to test-run new shoes! I tried the spiffy-looking Wave Elixir 7s, which clashed with my orange socks, but felt great.



I did a 4.5 mile out-and-back on the Capital Crescent Trail.  Some folks cut the run off at 3 miles.  Others went out to 6.  I thought about joining the 6-miler fred, but didn't want to push myself too hard while I'm still recovering.  That turned out to be a good plan.  The first 4 miles felt great - I didn't time them, but I could feel myself going at a comfortably fast pace (if I had to guess, I'd say I was running 8:30ish miles).  The last .5 was another story entirely.  My body decided to let me know that yes, I am still sick, and I should be taking it a bit easier.  My legs felt heavy, my lungs felt congested, and I'm sure I slowed down considerably.  I was able to catch up with some faster runners at a traffic light and run the final stretch with them, which felt great.  When we got back to lulu we were greeted with cold water, high-fives, and "good job"s.  I forgot how much I love run club.

The shoes were phenomenal.  They're less cushioned and supportive than my go-to shoes (Brooks Adrenaline), but they felt great throughout the entire run.  They are a lot lighter than my Adrenalines, which was a nice change.  I have narrow feet and was worried about my heel slipping, but the shoes stayed on surprisingly well.  I was impressed.  I think I'll stick with my Adrenalines for longer runs, but I'm definitely considering picking up a pair of Elixirs for shorter runs.  They retail for about $120, so I'm hoping to find them on sale or use some sort of discount code.  If anyone knows of any they'd like to pass along, I would be very grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment