Thursday, July 19, 2012

20in24: The Aftermath

It's been a few days since the race and, minus a few blisters, I'm faring pretty well.  My body tends to recover pretty quickly, but I attribute my condition primarily to what I did during the first 24 hours after the race.

Immediately after getting to the hotel I took a hot shower, stretched, and iced my shins and feet.  My feet were throbbing so badly I couldn't sleep, so I took some Advil and used a pillow to elevate them.  I also slept in compression sleeves to help the circulation in my calves.

When I got up Sunday morning I went for a walk, ate a huge breakfast, then got a massage.  The walk wasn't exactly fun, but it helped me loosen up.  Getting a massage the day of or day after a race is a habit I started after running Marine Corps Marathon for the first time - it prevents a lot of soreness down the road.

I was (and still am) on a steady diet of Advil and water.  I'm probably drinking more water in one day than most people drink in a week.

During the last lap of the race I had some serious doubts about whether or not I would ever run it again.  Now that I've had some time to think about it, I know I would do it again in a heartbeat.  Everyone I met was super-friendly, the race was well-run*, and the course flat and fast.  I think it's the perfect first race for anyone considering running an ultra.

*pun not intended

No comments:

Post a Comment