Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Birthday, America!

Warning: this is a photo-heavy post.

This morning I decided to celebrate America's birthday by sleeping in.  My stepmom woke me up at 10:15 with the idea to attend the Fourth of July parade in downtown Bethany Beach.  As parking is near impossible on a holiday, it was decided that she would bike and I would run there.  A perfect plan, except for the fact that the parade was at noon on a warm, sunny day.

Throughout my run I was excited to see a lot of people in red, white, and blue attire.  I wish I'd been a bit more patriotic, but I did my best with a blue and white outfit - too bad most people noticed my neon yellow Zensah sleeves more than the rest of what I was wearing.  Quite a few people commented on them!

It was a hot, quick run and I got to town just in time for the parade.  As I've never lived outside of a big city, I haven't been exposed to a lot of small-town Americana experiences.  This parade was exactly what I imagined all small-town parades to be like.

There were national guardsmen:


Spirited floats:





Pageant princesses:



And plenty of old cars:




I'd originally planned on having my dad pick me up after the parade, as I thought it would be too hot to run home, but we ran in to some family friends whose son and friend were running home after the parade.  We ran a slow easy 2 or so miles to their house and I used the mile between our houses to do speed intervals.  While I'm happy I added the extra milage, it's going to be a while before I cool off, especially in this heat!

Have a safe and happy Fourth of July!!

No comments:

Post a Comment