Monday, July 2, 2012

Two Points for Honesty*

*Ten points if you get the reference.

As y'all know, I've been injured and haven't been able to train as much as I would like/need for 20in24.  While I am running again, I am not in the shape I was a month ago.  To attempt a 50 mile run in this condition would be lunacy.  While attempting 50 miles in general is arguably insane, to do so in my current condition carries a significantly higher risk of injury.  After quite a bit of reflection, it is with a heavy heart that I admit that I will have to alter my original goal to 4 laps instead of 6, covering 33.6 miles instead of 50.4

You didn't think I was going to bag the race entirely, did you?

I'm confident in am ability to cover this distance, as I've come close do doing so (28 miles) in 24 hours doing American Odyssey.  If I still feel good after meeting my mileage goal, I'll keep going.  If I'm feeling really good, who knows what will happen?  Maybe I'll cover 50 miles after all.  The important thing is that I've revised my goal to something reasonably attainable and am allowing myself the flexibility to take a break or pull out of the race altogether without feeling like a failure if my shins start acting up or my legs lack the strength to continue.

As for my personal goal to do a 50-mile race, there's always 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment