Friday, December 7, 2012

Kicking Off the Holiday Season

Last night was my first holiday party of the 2012 season.  If it's any indication of what's to come, I'm in for a lot of fun, festive cocktails, and unhealthy (but extremely delicious) food.  That all sounds super until I think about it in light of the fact that I will be laying out on a beach in Mexico in less than a month.

I'm no teetotaler and I love food, so not drinking and refusing to eat at parties is out of the question.  I want to try everything!  So what's a girl to do?

My plan is to keep working out regularly and eat as healthy as possible on my "off days."  Ever since I got back from Morocco I've been craving fresh fruits and vegetables and healthy, but hearty, meals.  I've been eating a lot of baked fish and chicken, gilled meats, quinoa, and salads.  As for vegetables, I'll take them any way I can, but prefer them fresh or steamed.  Hopefully this will cancel out some of my bad eating habits at parties.  I can't help myself when it comes to dips and cheese trays.

This week I've done pretty well with workouts.  Run club on Wednesday was a great reminder that I don't have to work out alone - it's far more fun with friends!  I had a great time catching up with the lululemon Bethesda run club crew during our chilly evening run.  Our run was after dark and parts were in quiet areas where we could see the stars.  It reminded me a lot of my night legs during relays, except I had some great people telling entertaining stories to keep me company.  It also made me feel much better about my 8k coming up on Sunday.

Yesterday I worked out with Rob during lunch.  It was a tough workout, heavy on squats, lunges, and balancing exercises to get me ready for my ski trip.  I am starting to get a little concerned because my left hamstring has been acting up the past few workouts.  It gives a little warning (not much), then seizes up.  If anyone has any recommendations I would love to hear them.

For those of you counting:
MYB Challenge workouts 4 and 5 of 22 completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment