Friday, December 21, 2012

Lessons Learned

This week has been trying, to say the least, but I managed to stay on track and work out Monday - Friday.

On Wednesday I learned the true value of social running groups.  I'd had a bad day at work and all I wanted to do was go home and curl up on the couch, but I promised some friends that I'd go to run club.  Reluctantly, I dragged myself to lululemon and was met with... ugly Christmas sweaters.  My mood brightened immediately.


There was no way I would have worked out on my own that evening and that would have been to my detriment.  As each mile passed, I felt the stress from my day melt away.

Yesterday I learned how far I've come.  During Bikram I was completely focused on my practice, barely noticing anyone around me.  This may not be impressive to most people, but when I first started practicing yoga I spent a lot of my class looking around the room at everyone else and trying to figure out how much time had passed.  When I fell out of a pose, instead of getting frustrated, like I had in the past, I simply got back in to it.  My patience and ability to focus made the class far more enjoyable and reminded me of why I started practicing yoga in the first place.

This morning I learned the value of making a plan and sticking to it.  It's been a bit over a year since I started working with my trainer and each time we meet I can feel myself getting stronger.  I'm lifting heavier weights and using machines I would have been far too intimidated to try a year ago.  When I first started training with Rob, I thought I'd meet with him for a year, then train on my own; now our sessions have become so ingrained in my weekly routine that I can't imagine foregoing them.

Part of reaching the end of a year is reflecting on experiences and lessons learned.  I like what I'm seeing so far.

For those of you counting:
MYB Challenge workouts 12-15 of 22 completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment