Thursday, May 31, 2012

Attack of the Killer Shin Splints

I'm not sure what I've been doing wrong, but my calves have been extremely tight lately.  I stretch, I foam roll, I hydrate, and I take days off; nothing seems to help.  Yesterday I started feeling some pain in my shins, but forged ahead with my plans to join the lululemon Bethesda run club for a 4-6 mile run.  It was a beautiful evening and I couldn't resist the temptation to spend it outdoors.  By the end of the run, I was really hurting.  Like the rockstar (or idiot) I am, I self-medicated with rum.  Post-run happy hour seemed like a good idea at the time.  At least it was nice out.

(photo courtesy of the lululemon Athletica Bethesda Row Facebook page - what a good-looking group!)

Flash forward 12 hours to this morning, when I woke up with a shooting pain through my right shin.  Awesome.  Before going in to the office, I walked a mile to continue my running streak.  Technically, I'm not sure that walking counts, but I don't think I could manage a run today.  After hobbling around the office all morning, I sent myself home to ice my shins and slip on some compression sleeves.

Zensah, I love you.  These sleeves are MAGIC.  This is what my afternoon has consisted of:


Compression sleeves, couch, and telecommuting.  Just what the (imaginary) doctor ordered.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Does anyone out there have tips or tricks for preventing and/or treating shin splints?  I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment