Saturday, May 5, 2012

Race Prep

Runners can be extremely superstitious.

I like to think I'm above superstition, but when I reflect upon my pre-race (or pre-long run) behavior, I find myself doing the same things time after time.  I always have the same thing for dinner, lay out my outfit to run in, and pack my bag of post-race gear the night before a race.

This Giada recipe is very similar to my typical pre-race dinner.  I use capellini instead of fusilli and add basil as well.  I know a lot of runners won't eat dairy product the day before a race, but I love cheese far too much to pass up sprinkling it over my pasta.

Doesn't this look delicious?



I pack the following in my race bag, for both pre- and post- race use.

Pre-race:

  • Small bottle of blue Gatorade (I hate most other flavors)
  • Coconut Chocolate Chip Cliff Bar (I used to hate Cliff bars/Luna bars/similar products... the fact that I can eat this flavor Cliff bar without wincing makes it a keeper)
  • Throwaway long-sleeved t-shirt or sweatshirt (if it's chilly out)
Post-race:

  • Face wipes (a life-changing revelation to bring these along - wiping the salt off of your face after a race feels amazing)
  • A fresh shirt (because I have no interest in wearing a sweaty, stinky shirt on the trip home)
  • Sandals or non-running shoes (to give my feet a break)
It's a pretty simple, common-sense list, but these items are like my security blanket - as long as I have them, I know I'll do just fine.

None of these are extreme behaviors, but the fact that I do them to put myself at ease and think they contribute to my success means I'm no better than the fools who wear the same pair of socks to every marathon.  I guess I'm superstitious after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment