Friday, May 4, 2012

How It Started

I wasn't always a runner.  There was a time (not so long ago) when I completely loathed running.  For a long time I couldn't even run a mile.  At my father's insistence I trained to run a 5K - I hated every second of it.  It wasn't until five years ago, when a group of my friends signed up to run the Army Ten Miler, that I considered running a "long" distance.  The way I saw it, if my friends could suffer through 10 miles, I could too.  Clearly I wasn't thinking very logically.

After the disastrous Army Ten Miler of 2007, where I likely walked more than I ran, I vowed to come back the following year in better shape.  And I did.  After that, I kept on running and haven't looked back.

Now I'm training for an ultra-marathon and Tough Mudder.  Five years ago, I didn't know these events existed.  I'm amazed by how far I've come.

No comments:

Post a Comment