Sunday, May 27, 2012

wear blue Runs for the Fallen

I consider myself to be fairly patriotic.  Not in a plaster-the-American-flag-all-over-everything sort of way - more in that I take pride in our service members and take every opportunity to thank and honor them for protecting our nation and our freedom to say and do what we believe in - whether it's running for office or writing a running blog.  As a runner, this translates to running races organized by and/or to benefit branches of the military and organizations to help wounded or fallen service members and their families.  As I live in Washington D.C., a city with a large military presence, I have a lot of opportunities to do this throughout the year that not everyone else has.

I heard about wear blue Runs to Remember through a Runner's World tweet.   The Runs for the Fallen caught my attention because I am at the beach and away from most race opportunities this weekend - it's a great way to be a part of an event honoring fallen service members on Memorial Day regardless of where you are.  The organization has a goal of 6,460 miles, one for each life lost in the Global War on Terror, as a living memorial for our troops.

Participating is easy - all you have to do is go to the website and pledge miles.  It's free and really easy to do - it took me less than minute to pledge my (10) miles.  If you'll be running tomorrow, please participate.  You were going to cover those miles anyway - this gives them the opportunity to also be part of something larger than your personal milage totals.

No comments:

Post a Comment