Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Safety First

Can I let you in on a secret?

...

Running in the dark scares me.

I live in a city, in an area with plenty of streetlights and people around.  The likelihood of me getting abducted in the shadows is pretty slim.  What really scares me is getting hit by a car.

Drivers are easily distracted and often tired early in the morning or late at night when it's dark out.  Wearing light or bright colors or white does not make you visible enough to keep you safe.  I cannot stress enough the importance of wearing lights and/or reflective gear while running at night.

I have some pretty sweet gear myself.

A nice reflective vest:


A headlamp:



And a (pink!!) strobe light:


I may look like an idiot, but I'm an idiot that cars can see coming from quite far away.  I ran an overnight relay race last weekend and, as faster runners passed me, I got to see how much additional visibility reflective items and lights give you.  If I have to run at night, I won't run without these ever again.

Now that you've sat through my PSA, I'm sure you'd love to see a gratuitous photo of me in my night running gear.  Feast your eyes on my sleep-deprived, exhausted, makeup-free self (I'm the awkward-looking one on the left):


You can't say I didn't warn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment