Sunday, June 17, 2012

For Dad

My dad is a trip.

Everyone loves him because he's loud, funny, and larger than life.  What everyone doesn't know is that he's also a complete animal in the gym.  I can guarantee you that, at 69 years old, he is in better shape than I am.  He works out 5x a week and lifts (what I have been told by guys who run in to him at the gym is) a respectable amount of weight.  He is a living example that your health should always be a priority.

My dad taught me how to ski, how to bike, and how to love running.  While he didn't make it to every little league practice and softball game, he taught me how to throw like a boy and got me one heck of a batting coach.  He taught me not only the rules of football, but how to throw a perfect spiral.  When I graduated, he encouraged me to lace up my running shoes and hit the trails.  When I couldn't run a mile, he told me to keep trying until I could.  When I thought I was too slow to be a serious runner, he told me to keep going - speed would come with time and hard work.  He was right.

No matter how busy he is, he makes time to work out.  As I've grown up, he's encouraged me to stay active, telling me that as long as I take the time to work out and take care of my body, my body will take care of me.  Although I don't always heed it, this is an invaluable lesson.  Most of my injuries have been caused by my failure to properly cool down, stretch, or ice sore muscles; while he could tell me "I told you so" every time this happens, he never does.

My dad is always there to give advice when I'm training or injured, to go on morning runs, and to support my crazy ideas.  Each time I've run Marine Corps Marathon he's been at multiple points along the course with a Gatorade and a smile and at the finish line with a camera and a hug.  I can't imagine that I would ever have made it this far as a runner, or a person, without his support and encouragement.


My dad is more than my parent - he's my role model and an inspiration to keep training.


My dad and I after a turkey trot


Happy father's day, daddy.  Rest and enjoy it - July 14th and that last lap you promised to pace me for will be here before you know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment