Monday, June 11, 2012

My First Sports Massage

Up until now, all of my (limited) massage experiences had been in fancy spas or on a beach.  Tough life, I know.  While I'd love to get a monthly massage at Red Door, I am not Scrooge McDuck with unlimited resources and a pool of gold coins to swim in.


Scrooge McDuck, for those of you who weren't as Disney-obsessed as I was when you were younger

With that in mind, I needed to find a cheaper alternative.

I have driven by Massage Envy in Bethesda countless times over the past few years, but never had a reason to pay it any attention.  When I googled "Sports Massage + DC" Massage Envy popped up and, with an introductory rate of $49 for a 1-hour massage, I figured "why not?"

Massage Envy is a national franchise of small spas providing massages and facials (at limited locations).  Their goal is to provide spa services at an affordable rate, and they excel at it.  While no one is going to confuse the waiting area of Massage Envy for a fancy spa, the fact that a massage there is 1/3 the price of one at a fancy spa makes up for it.

The massage itself was more than adequate.  Was it the best massage of my life?  No.  But it was worth what I paid and I will definitely be going back.  My masseuse was polite, professional, and responsive to feedback on pressure, etc throughout the massage.  The spa areas, while simple, were clean and inviting.  Most importantly, I was able to get in and out of there on time.  My massage started at 5pm on the dot and I was out the door at 6:02.

When I left, I was given the option to become a "member," which I signed up for.  The massage has helped my shin splints, as well as a sore shoulder, a lot, so I've decided to go back on a monthly basis.  Do I feel like a brat scheduling monthly massages?  Yes.  But they help, and the price is right.

Things to know:

  • The spa is very simple - there's a reception area, waiting area, bathrooms, and treatment rooms.  If you're used to fancier spas you'll need to adjust to the fact that there's no locker room or showers.
  • An introductory one-hour massage is $49.  After that, you can choose to become a member for a $49 enrollment fee (which they will waive if you join on your first visit).  Membership is $59/month and includes a 1-hour massage each month (so, essentially you are paying $59 for a massage).  Additional massages, extensions, add-ons, and other services are deeply discounted for members (i.e. if I wanted to get a second massage in a given month it would be $49, while a non-member would have to pay $98).  Any services you don't use can be rolled over or gifted during the term of your membership.
  • Scheduling is pretty simple - you can schedule an appointment online or call the spa.  I was able to schedule a massage less than 24 hours ahead of time.



No comments:

Post a Comment