Friday, June 22, 2012

When Life Hands You Lemons...

...wear a ridiculous outfit.

This morning was my first run after 16 days of forced rest.  Since I'm not 100% out of the woods and I live in perpetual fear of re-aggravating my dreaded shin splints, I am now running in compression sleeves.  They look sort of ridiculous, so instead of being embarrassed and trying to hide or downplay them, I made sure everyone within a 5-mile radius would notice them.

Behold:


That's right.  I took the "life handing you lemons" analogy to another level.  I'm especially proud of the fact that my short-shorts match the sleeves.  Clearly I own too much neon running gear... or need to get out more.

On another note - when it's 77 degrees with 72% humidity at 7am you see a lot of people running in not a lot of clothing.  All I have to say about that is this: I would love to run in only a sports bra and -3" inseam spandex shorts, but no one wants to see that.  If you are running outdoors, especially in urban or densely populated areas, please do everyone a favor and realize what is appropriate to wear in public and what isn't.  You don't have to be stylish, but it is not ok if I can tell whether or not your bikini line is beach-ready as I run by you.

How was the run?  Hot, humid, and fast.  Apparently my legs were really excited to hit the pavement and I ran 8:30 miles most of the way, slowing down only to go up a couple of steep inclines.  I can already tell that my biggest challenge this summer will be learning to slow down so that I don't overheat.  My shins held up ok, but I will definitely be icing, taking vitamin I, and keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be pain-free and ready to run again tomorrow.

Have a good weekend and remember to hydrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment