Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Shin Splints Continue

Yesterday I celebrated National Running Day by going to run club and banging out a 5-mile run.  I use the term "banging out" because those miles hurt.  My shins had been feeling better the past few days and I was able to get through a 7-miler on Tuesday without too much pain; however, that run brought out the worst in me and by mile 1 yesterday I knew I was in for a tough run.

To be completely honest, had I been running on my own I probably would have bagged the run a mile in.  Instead, because I had great company and supportive people around me, I was able to get through the full distance.  One woman, Michelle, was exceptionally supportive and hung back to walk the downhills with me.  I appreciate that more than I can express as the last thing I wanted to do at that point was run alone.  Michelle, if you read this at any point, thank you.

Earlier in the day I found out about a 20% off promotion City Sports was having on run accessories; immediately after run club I got on their website and ordered 3 more pairs of Zensah sleeves.  As I've mentioned in the past, Zensah sleeves have been really helpful.  I've been hesitant to run in them because, well, they look ridiculous.  As my sister so kindly put it: "take off the leg sleeves - you're not a basketball player."  At this point, I'm over how they look.  I've heard they're invaluable in preventing shin splints and dealing with the pain.  The decision between looking silly while running (which I probably do anyway) and not running at all is a no-brainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment