Sunday, June 3, 2012

International Race for the Cure 2012

It was a dark and stormy night... which gave way to morning weather perfect for running.  As my dad and I walked toward the start line of the 2012 International Race for the Cure, there was a cool breeze blowing and a few clouds overhead. I couldn't have asked for more ideal racing weather.

The first thing we noticed when we arrived at the start is how fewer runners there were this year.  This past year, Susan G. Komen for the Cure made a controversial decision, which they later reversed, that caused a lot of donors to back away from the organization.  (Sidenote: please do not comment on this post regarding that decision - this post is purely about my experience at the race and is not meant to incite a political discussion.)  This year registration for Race for the Cure was down 40% and that was definitely noticeable both at the start and throughout the race.  I had a lot more room to run than I have in past years.

Walking up to the start

As we waited for the race to start we took a couple of photos, one of which turned out semi-decent.  I tried to meet up with some friends before the race, but they were running late and, despite the drop in registration, it was hard to find anyone in the crowd.

My dad and I before the race

The race started and I took off.  My dad is slower than I am, so we have an understanding that during races we'll each run at our own pace and meet up at the finish line.  The route was a bit different than last year, but we still ran past the Washington Monument and alongside the mall.  As I ran, I struck up conversation with a few random people I was pacing with.  I don't know when I became "that" runner (and I feel like I got there 20 years earlier than normal), but it was nice to have some entertainment as I ran.

Approaching the Washington Monument on the course

As I approached the finish, I could feel the temperature rising.  I was really happy to be done, and even got a call-out from the announcer!  Instead of moving along, I decide to wait near the finish line (out of the way of incoming runners, of course), to see if I could get a photo of my dad finishing the race.  Lo and behold...

My dad finishing

He looks pretty awesome, right?  His hand is up because he was setting up for a finish line high-five with me.  As he crossed, the announcer called him out for finishing the race at his age.  I proceeded to make fun of him about this for the rest of the morning.  Mature, I know.

One thing that distinguishes Race for the Cure from other races I run is the volume of free stuff at the finish line.  Who doesn't love free stuff?  There were a ton of vendors handing out pink everything - backpacks, sunglasses, pens, scarves, you name it and it was probably there.  They were set up between the finish line and the food/water at the end, so it was a bit of a zoo getting through there.

Crowds grabbing pink swag at the finish line

Once we stocked up on free pink everything, we decided to head out, but not before taking a quick photo in front of the Capitol.

My dad and I after the race - it was really sunny and I was happy to have new pink sunglasses!

Running Race for the Cure is a family tradition - after my mom passed of breast cancer we've run it every year.  It's always wonderful to see so many people turn out to support a great cause, though it's bittersweet to see how many people the disease has personally affected.  While I had a wonderful time with my dad, I really wish my sister could have been there with us (the storms / tornado warnings the night before kept her in Baltimore).  Oh well - there's always next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment