Thursday, June 28, 2012

Skirting the Line

A few years ago, when running skirts first came out, I couldn't understand them.  In fact, I hated them.  I didn't understand why someone wouldn't just wear shorts.

Then I joined run club.

A lot of the women in run club wear running skirts and I couldn't help but notice how cute they look.  After a few weeks of adjusting to and, later, admiring the look, I bit the bullet and bought the Run: Pace Setter skirt at lululemon.

One thing I love about this skirt is that it makes me look like I have a bit more "junk in the trunk" than I actually do.  (True story: right after my sister's boyfriend met me he told her I could do some squats to build up my backside.  Little did he know, I was already doing hundreds of squats a week...)  In any case, here's a side shot of what it looks like on my flat-as-a-pancake tush:


Please excuse the untied shoes - I still had to put on my compression sleeves.

Once I got used to the skirt flapping against the back of my legs, I didn't notice it.  It wasn't any warmer than wearing spandex shorts and it wasn't constrictive at all.  It was especially nice to have on at happy hour after run club - I didn't feel nearly as self-conscious in a bar full of business-casual-clad people as I usually do.

I bought the skirt in a tall, which allowed me a slightly higher waistband and longer length.  I would recommend this for anyone my height (5'8") and above as some of the regular-length skirts I've tried on are too short.

Would I wear this skirt for longer runs?  Probably not.  The shorts underneath are a bit too short and would eventually result in some serious chaffing.  They are a good length for a short- to moderate- length run (a 10k or less), especially if you are planning on running around town or running errands before or after your run.

I may be a few years late, but I've finally climbed on board the running skirt bandwagon.

No comments:

Post a Comment